In my quest to become the next Bill Simmons or Michael Wilbon I have decided to go where no brotha has gone before. Tonight I have decide to watch some hockey (or gliding as I like to call it). I have been to a handful of hockey games and I know the basic rules my knowledge is due to some lessons from friends and an obsession I had with EA Sports NHL 95 for PC.
- Always glad to see a fellow brotha on the team, that being said #42 Ward is now my new favorite Capital.
- Devils defense is playing super stingy in the first period. Looks like the Capitals will only score if there is a mental breakdown.
- Ovechkin looks a step slow so far, a 100 million dollar in your pocket can slow you down.
- Beautiful stop by Martin Brodeur toward the end of the 1st. This guy has been playing forever, amazing to see a 40 year old leading the number two team in the east.
- I always wondered if coaches called plays out of time outs in hockey. You know Player X screen Player Y which should give Player Z an easier shot. Maybe I should be a hockey coach, I can revolutionize the game.
- Aggressive play by Ovechkin lead to the powerplay for Perreault (Caps 1 - Devils 0)
- Sloppy puck clearance by Hobtby leads to a soft Devils goal. (Caps 1 - Devils 1)
- Scoring is really picking up now! Devils unable to clear puck out of zone, easy goal for Caps (Caps 2 - Devils 1)
- Ovechkin tempo has been the big difference in this period. When he cranks it up the Caps follow.
- I feel like NHL referees don't get villainized like other sports referees do. They effective use video technology and conference on all questionable calls. It is nice too see the outcome of a game not effected by officiating.
- Big time 5 on 3 penalty kill by the Caps early in the 3rd, may be the clinching monument of this game.
- Game tying goal by the Devils, Caps may be tired from killing consecutive penalties (Caps 2 - Devils 2)
- Power play goal by Devils, really pouring it on in the 3rd. (Caps 2 - Devils 3)
The undoing of the Capitals tonight were penalties late. Though to not give up goals when you have 4 back to back penalties in the final period.