Thursday, January 10, 2013

Biting off Little Chunks (Goal Setting)

I am often guilty of biting off more than I can chew. Sometime I put unrealistic expectations on myself to hit goals which weren't S.M.A.R.T (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Result Focused, Time-bounded). What I often struggle with is setting my goals correctly because I want my goals to difficult enough to add pressure for me to achieve them but also not so difficult that it is impossible to accomplish.

My new approach lately has been to breakdown goals into weekly bit size pieces and have timelines I need to hit during the week (I know this may not be new to everyone but its new for me) For the past month and a half I have set aside a time every Sunday to have a meeting with myself. I add it on my calendar and when I get the alert on my phone I turn everything off and I perform the following task.
  • Review my prior week goals and see what went well and how could it have gone better and what went wrong and how could I improve.
  • I leverage my prior weeks lessons learned and write out new goals for the upcoming week. 
  • I review my finance and pay bills or move money around as need
  • I read over my daily thoughts aka my journal to see where my head was over the past few days. I will also review older post. 
  • I update my calendar with time slots for all the actions items I have written as a goal for the week (ie Goal - Write 2 Blog Post - Schedule 2 one hour windows to blog) 
  • I will meditate/pray for at least 15 minutes in complete silence (this is very difficult)  
This will usually take me an hour or so but I have been feeling better about my weeks and also more productive.

I keep my note book open of all my weekly goals and I review them a few times a day.

Try this out for a week and see you don't become more productive.

Follow me @DrivenDre

No comments:

Post a Comment